As we board the flight to Perth we have realised that it is just over 7 months travel in Asia that has just been completed. To commemorate this here is some Top 7 lists of our incredible journey so far. (n.b Each item has a link to that post!)
Written by John AND Karen!
7 Best Experiences
Great moments can’t to be replicated!
- Climbing Poon Hill in Nepal
- Attending Traditional Asian Weddings in India and Cambodia
- Elephants – Elephants everywhere in India and Thailand
- On safari in Borneo – So many animals!
- Hui Van Pass Motorbiking – Some breathtaking views
- Getting Engaged – on a wee beach in Goa
- Beach time in the Gili Islands
7 Worst Experiences
Scary, boring or just plain wrong decisions…
- Bandipur, Nepal – why visit!
- Overnight Bus to Bangalore – one of us was sick, the other on edge!
- Night time TukTuk ride in Hampi – Under the cover of darkness we rushed to get that bus!
- Toilets in China!! – Karen is scarred for life
- Vietnam Visas – missing passports and wrong dates!
- The long long journey from Yogyakarta to Malang – never again!
- Ijen Crater – scary but an experience – our only scar is the smell of John’s coat after it!
7 Random Experiences
Yep these all happened!
- Getting kicked off a bus in Cambodia to give up our seat to a Giant Durian Fruit!
- Getting free accomodation in Shanghai from a new friend.
- Our Ayr College educated tour guide in Patan!
- Seeing all our Irish London pals in Kurtas and Saris, Ollie Deane dressed like Aladdin on a horse!
- John’s Haircut in the backwaters of Kerala
- Meeting a guy in a car park and then getting the best safari trips ever in Borneo
- Tea and cakes with an Indonesian Royal family in Bali
7 Best Meals
An army marches on it’s stomach – said Napoleon Bonaparte. This army is no exception.
- Dinner at Beena’s Homestay in Kochi (all of them)
- Chottaram’s Rural Offerings in Jodhpur
- Peking Duck in Peking China
- Pad Thai from the Sisters in Bangkok
- That Takeaway in Sisophon, Cambodia – best beef ever!
- Food in Vietnam – every meal was amazing but best was in Hoi An
- Warung food in Amed, Bali
7 places that blew our minds away
No description needed or photos….just click the links guys!
- Taj Mahal
- Great Wall of China
- Angkor Wat in Cambodia
- S-21 and the Killing Fields in Phnom Penh
- White Temple & Black House in Chang Rai Thailand
- Bodnauth Stupa (Nepal)
- Huangshan Mountains in Southern China – as featured in Avatar!
7 places as nature intended
Neither man-made or man-destroyed just nature at it’s best!
- Halong Bay – Vietnam
- Kerala Backwaters – India
- Palolem Beach – India
- Nong Khiaw – Laos
- Sapa – Vietnam
- Li River in Yangshuo, China
- Mount Bromo – Java, Indonesia
7 Biggest Points of Contention
Those little things that made us fight!
- Getting John’s phone unlocked – Karen’s biggest bugbear
- Sun cream!! – John refusing to put it on and Karen chasing him with it
- Getting lost – This happened quite a bit
- Where to eat (in China) – You need to have been to China to understand this
- Convincing Karen of the absence of Bed Bugs or other critters
- Lonely Planet Maps!!
- Topping up our amazing Chinese Mobile SIM – a real meltdown generator
7 Best Pictures
We have taken over 15,000 photos so far so this is a real tough category
7 Roads Not Taken
Places we could have gone to but didn’t. Next time Gadget, next time!
- Jaisalmer in India – A Living breathing Sand Castle in Rajasthan. We needed to get to Mumbai so had to skip it.
- Burma – Potential Honeymoon choice after we couldn’t make it this time
- Battambang Bamboo Railway in Cambodia – We were so close to going here…aaagh!
- Dragon backbone rice terraces in Guillin, China – We got our days wrong and couldn’t fit these in. Afterwards we kept hearing of their greatness 😦
- Muang Ngoi Neau in Northern Laos – Thunder and lightning kept us at bay
- Varanasi in India – Overlooked but not the next time.
- Flores in Indonesia – With limited time available, the expensive flights and dodgy boats made this a no-go
7 Lessons Learnt
Personal growth without jobs!
- You wouldn’t like Karen when she’s hungry
- John’s biggest fear is wasps for some reason
- Bug spray washes off in the rain
- Salad in India is bad. Ask John
- When it comes to best seats in the bus/jeep, John looks after himself.
- Always question John’s research
- With less items in her handbag, Karen still loses things in it!